Wednesday, August 6, 2014

We're All Probably Going to Die from Ebola.

I'm kidding of course.

 I have full confidence that the current situation with the Ebola Outbreak in West Africa will be taken care of even though at the moment we could all wish for the best.

 But, even with that confidence, I am genuinely scared of how an outbreak can affect not only the affected countries, but also the unaffected countries like the United States.

I was afraid, but also somewhat relieved that the outbreak had started a world over in Africa, instead of here in the U.S. But, right now there are two confirmed Americans who have been stricken with the virus and they have been sent back here for treatment. I believe that if there is any place for someone to be treated for Ebola, quickly and safely, it would here in the United States.

However, at the same time, I have justified fear especially after watching a movie called Outbreak which dealt with a similar (fictitious yet) highly infectious disease (I'm not going to link the trailer, because I dislike the movie in general... Alright, so I agree that it is a "great" movie, but I just don't like watching scary things. It's a disaster movie incorporated with biological terrorism for goodness sake!!).

Sometimes, even though Health Care Professionals do their utmost to keep a virus quarantined, viruses just don't like to stay in one place because they enjoy being friendly with strangers (which also reminds me of the ending scene of Rise of the Planet of the Apes... I should probably stop watching Action/Sci-Fi movies).

Or, like in the movie Outbreak, the disease could be transferred by an extremely-adorable-auto-immune-disease-carrying-monkey and it could just go around biting everyone (except for equally cute little girls).

Experts say that people should not be fearful of getting infected in the United States, because in order for Ebola to be spread you would need to have constant and close contact with someone who is infected. So, the only people who are really at risk are the Health Care Professionals who are helping those two Americans, but they have protection, like the article I linked above states, so they should be fine.

My fear is just some unwarranted side-effect from watching too many unintentionally scary movies in the dark (because everything is just that much scarier in the dark). So, I hope that this outbreak passes over quickly and the current unimaginable loss of life will stop, but that of course is easier said than done.

But, let it just be known that Allie Brosh probably would've had a field day with the news of this Ebola Outbreak (I mean she mentions it at least three times on her blog).

What do you think? What is your take on this issue, I don't mind comments or reactions!

No comments:

Post a Comment